Thursday, January 6, 2011

Modified Mod Bento Quilt


Back during the summer and again in the fall I joined in on Jessica's Mod Bento Block Swap that I talked about before here.  Over Christmas I finally got all the blocks together and completed it!  I thought at first that I wanted to add sashing, but then I saw this arrangement of the blocks and this completed quilt and decided against sashing.  So I tried to the best of my ability to make sure that outer blocks were the same color or if I couldn't do that had a similar "feel".  I also tried to alternate the lighter and darker blocks.

My daughter, Juliana, loves rainbows, and she gushed over the blocks in the middle of the quilt.  This quilt is so scrappy that I thought it was a good way of complimenting the variety of colors represented.  I basted a little too hastily though and got a couple of wrinkles.  Darn!  However, my stippling is getting slowly better, and I think I am starting to get my own technique.  I quilted it in a variegated yellow thread.  I am a sucker for variegated thread.  It just looks so pretty on the spool.


I have a feeling 2011 is going to be the year of quilts for me, and I am super excited about it.  

Also, if you live in or around the Bakersfield, CA area, we are having our first Modern Quilt Guild meeting at Strawberry Patches on January 22nd between 2-4 PM.  Please stop by if you are able!  Terri from Sew Fantastic has done a great job of getting this off the ground!

8 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE that rainbow quilt. We will have to get together to practice stippling. I could use a little practice to :)

    Can't wait till the meet and greet I hope this goes off without a stitch... or with one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I really love that center block the best, it's so bright!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous! What fun to lay with it and study it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a gorgeous quilt! It's so bright and lively - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this ~ front and back! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really gorgeous, Meg. I think it looks great without sashing. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so beautiful meg! I love it. I've always wanted to try a bento. great fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have just stumbled upon your blog and love what I have seen so far. Love this modified bento box quilt and also the rainbow effect on the back. I have a scrappy string quilt that is waiting to be quilted and am thinking of doing the back the same now. Thanks for the inspiration! Also you mentioned your guild meeting at Strawberry Patches quilt shop. My husband goes to Bakersfield every year and always goes to this shop to buy me fabric. The ladies in there are lovely and helpful plus they now recognise him as that husband from New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...