Monday, April 25, 2011

Hunky Dory Quilt


I sewed a lot last week. I usually spend the baby's nap time cleaning, but last week I decided to sew.  I needed a break, and I let the house get messy.  I wish I could do that more often, but having a messy house really stresses me out as well.  This can be quite a dilemma at times with two little girls who like to color and create pictures that pile up and up and out, and a baby who likes to strew everything everywhere. ;0)

Today is my mother-in-law's birthday.  She is one of the nicest people you will ever meet, and today she hits the six-o. ;0)  I made her a simple quilt for her birthday.  I have wanted to make her a quilt with Hunky Dory for a long time.  I got a layer cake of this line for my birthday last year.  I wanted to do something really neat and thought and thought about it.  However, I admit to being on a quilting low right now, and I waited too last minute.


So I made some simple rows in four different color ways from my layer cake and added 5" rows of white sashing in between for a simple lap quilt.  It took me about an hour to put it all together.  I kept the quilting super, super simple.  I outlined along the sashing and squares, and that took me about another hour to do.


My favorite print in the whole line is a that little "flowy" flower print, and I used that for the binding (which I did completely by machine).  For the back I just used a solid white muslin.  I like to do pieced backs, but I find I so often stall out on quilts as this point.  There was no time for stalling! ;0) 

Happy birthday, Gail!  



.  

3 comments:

  1. How special! It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful gift, Meg. I have a bag full of Hunky Dory scraps that I got out of the scrap bin at my local quilt shop. Still trying to decide what to do with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely. Today at the fabric store, my 8 year old asked if she can make a quilt. No, she doesn't know how to sew yet ; )
    I had a pattern in mind, but I think this will be much easier for us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...