Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pattern Review- State Street Tote


Fabric: I used a lot of different fabrics for this- mostly Anna Maria Horner Good Folks and Drawing Room, Joel Dewberry, and Heather Ross. The inside is lined with Densye Schmidt County Fair canvas.

When I fist saw that Bari J. came out with sewing patterns, I fell in love with this tote.  I loved how you could make it patchwork or make it out of a single fabric.  I made this tote for my partner in the Urban Home Goods Swap.  She likes warm colors, so I chose lots of oranges, yellows, and reds.  These really aren't the colors I am naturally drawn too.  I am definitely am more attracted to cool colors, but after finishing up this bag I am totally sold.  The size is good- not too small or too big.  Plus, I love the outside pockets of this bag.


The pattern itself is very well written, and I didn't find any errors with any measurements or directions.  You can also use a spring closure for this bag, which she gives directions for as well.  I used a magnetic snap for this one, but I definitely want to make one for me with the spring closure.  I love the thought of my bag staying opened or closed.  



As much as I love this pattern, I don't know if I would recommend this to a beginner.  There are a lot of layers to this bag, which I think would be tricky for someone not experienced with making bags.  Also, there is no doubt in my mind that you need a walking foot to make this bag.  It definitely saved me when I was sewing the outside of this bag together.  I think there were something like 8 different layers being sewn together at one time.  The only thing I did differently for this bag is that I used cotton batting instead of fusible fleece that she recommended, since that is what I had on hand.  I just spray basted it on, and it worked quite well.



I also made a little fabric origami flower pin to spice up the front a bit.  You can find the pattern for this flower here.  Just watch your fingers.  These are pretty fun to make, but I always get myself with the iron!

Also, check out my pattern giveaway!  You can still enter until Sunday, February 20th!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I will have to get this pattern, your tote turned out AMAZING...the fabrics you chose are so awesome! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this bag is SO pretty!!! I really like the colors you used a LOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful bag, so colorful, i love quilted bag on mommywholesale.com .

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...