Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Fall 2012

Turning Twenty Bed Quilt

I have always wanted to participate in The Blogger's Quilt Festival, but for one reason or another it has never happened!  I am squeezing in at the last minute to share a quilt that I love and use every day.

I first decided to make a Turning Twenty quilt when I saw this beautiful version done up in Good Folks over four years ago!  A little while later I fell in love with Joel Dewberry's Modern Meadow, and I knew I had found my fabric.  When I first started quilting I really was drawn to simple patchwork and letting large prints shine.  I have grown in my appreciation for more intricate quilting, but I still love big prints.  I think they work especially well for bed quilts.  

Turning Twenty Bed Quilt

In the summer of 2011 I cut out and finished my quilt top, but when I finished I was indecisive about how to quilt it.  A king size quilt is no joke to quilt!  I was going to do straight line quilting, but I finally decided to quilt it with a large stipple since free motion quilting is a little more fun!  It took me about four days to quilt, but it honestly wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be in my mind.  

Turning Twenty Bed Quilt

For the back I used a light blue king size cotton sheet, and I made two matching pillowcases.

Pillows

I also *finally* finished two throw pillows.  For one I used scraps leftover to make a little hexie pillow appliqued on linen.  The other one is a pillow I crocheted using this pattern, and then I sewed to a plain envelope style pillow cover. 

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to go check out all the other quilts in the festival!  There are some really beautiful quilts!

*Quilt Measurements:  approx 100" x 108"
*Special Techniques used- hmmm...how about easy? ;0)
*Quilted by… me!
*Best category – 
bed quilt, home machine quilted quilt 

15 comments:

  1. Lovely! I love Joel Dewberry too and can sympathize with trying to find a simple quilt pattern that does justice the prints. I think you succeeded with this one, great quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love this for it's simlicity and it's color. The throw pillows are also fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made several quilts using Turning Twenty Again. They are easy and the fabrics really shine. I love your hexie throw pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing love the color and the pattern. I know that you used a turning twenty pattern, but there is more than one of those right? If so which one did you use. I love how you were able to show off the large prints by using that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the original Turning Twenty pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love EVERYTHING about this restful and lovely quilt/pillows combination. You've captured Joel Dewberry's fabric for modern living! Wonderful pics - magazine ready!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really great - love your fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful quilt...and the pillows really make it come together so well!! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very beautiful quilt. You should be proud of yourself for doing such a fine job. I love the pillows that you added also, a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's perfect! such a wonderful quilt, love the pillows, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great quilt and beautiful ensemble. Thanks for sharing the pillows too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're inspiring me to want to try a full sized quilt again. My first was a total disaster! I can handle baby sized ones, I'm just so intimidated by big ones now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, This is a great simple pattern if you want to give it a try! I take big ones in chunks- like it takes me a year to finish them! haha!

      Delete
  13. Wow, such a gorgeous quilt! I think it's about time I jumped on this bandwagon. :)

    Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog - so funny we have so much in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was too funny all the similarities. I was so inspired by all your beautiful knitting!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! I try to reply to most comments via e-mail, so make sure to add your e-mail address if it isn't linked up (especially if you have a question!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...