This was the last thing I finished! I cut this pillow out on Thursday, sewed the blocks and top together Friday, and quilted and made it into a pillow yesterday! I had so much fun making this gigantic pillow. The blocks are actually not improv improv. ;0) I used block patterns from Scrap Republic. I loved this book and wanted to use it right away. I knew I didn't have any reason for starting another quilt when I already have four others in progress, but I was inspired by Svetlana's pillow.
I had wanted to make the kids some big pillows for reading for Christmas, but the first part of December didn't go my way. I wanted to enjoy making them and not have them be stressful projects. I am so glad I waited because I felt nice to sit back and really enjoy making this.
I added a little free motion stitching in this one scrappy print using some gray wool thread.
I had Juliana hold up the pillow just to give an idea of how big it really is. It is often hard for me to tell in pictures what the size of things are. Also, she loves it and has "claimed" it.
For the back I used this Denyse Schmidt canvas print. It doesn't really "go" with the front but since this is a floor pillow I wanted something sturdy for the back.
I quilted this in a grid pattern which I really love, but I forgot how time consuming and monotonous straight line quilting can be! When I finished these blocks they only measured at 24". I needed this to fit a 26" pillow so I added a border. I was going to do a more rainbowy border. However, I decided to use white prints with splashes of color instead, and I really like the look.
We moved our rooms around a bit after Thanksgiving, and we have a big space by the kids' bookshelf that is just begging for a little reading nook. I already have the next floor pillow pattern picked out, and I am hoping to make one of Dana's Rollie Pollie chairs as well!
I hope you are all having a wonderful New Year!!!